Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Chapter 148

word count 1005

Lenny and Nick peeked in the house, next proceeding, guns drawn, to enter through the kitchen door. The oil slick worked to perfection as Lenny first, then Nick, went flying, feet in the air, to land with resounding thuds on the slick tile and its bed of nails.

When their massive bodies hit, it was with such blasts it seemed like the whole house shook from not just one, but two massive explosions. Next the wild screaming and yelping from the two men was enough to wake up everyone for blocks.

Those words that filled the tiny kitchen cannot be repeated here. It was an expletive explosion, for sure. The more the men struggled to get up, and more sharpened nails punched into their fatty skin, and the louder and worse their rampage of swear words.

The boys saw the two thugs, but they were more worried about Elliot, who lay writhing on the floor in pain. They were shaking in their boots having the criminals so close, within arm's reach, but Elliot stole their attention more. He was a precious member of the brotherhood.

“We better call for help,” Adam said. He rushed to the phone, which luckily was in the living room and not the kitchen. So there was no need to pass through the oil slick and big men cussing.

Dialing 911, he spoke so excitedly, the operator had to ask him to repeat himself.

“My brother is real sick. He's on the floor. His belly hurts real bad. Oh, and there's some burglars in the kitchen. They're hurt bad, but me and my brothers are still scared of them.”

* * *

Buzz was in conference with Gil and Hank, having just reviewed the tapes from the junkyard, when a uniformed cop rushed in to tell him the news his son was in trouble.

“I thought I left a couple guys guarding the house,” the big guy roared.

“Well, they took a break, and all hell broke loose over there.”

“WHAT THE FUCK!” Buzz slammed a fist on the desk, sending staplers and pencils flying. “I WANT THOSE GUARDS'ASSES DOWN HERE NOW!”

“With all due respect, sir, I think things sound very serious, and you need to get to the hospital. One of the boys took ill...Elliot Taggart. The other boys insisted the officers take them to the hospital to be with him. And at the house, our guys already have the two burglars in custody.”

“What the hell? Well, I'm gonna have to call Trudy about Elly. Hank, can you call your daughter to tell John that his kid is sick. Tell them everything. Now where's my cell...”

“You must be looking for this!” Priscilla sashayed into the room holding his cell up for all to see. I found it in the office and thought I'd bring it to you.”

Gil and Hank stared at the woman, their eyes popping out of their heads as in unison they took in the luscious curves of her body.

Who the heck is that? Gil wondered, as he felt “the Gil machine” stirring.

“Get going, you two!” Buzz bellowed at them. “Catch up with those thugs they're bringing in.” Gil and Hank took off in a hurry, each casting one last glance at the lady as they left.

Buzz grabbed the phone from Priscilla and was about to call Trudy when he realized the nuns had no phone and there was no number to call. With a sigh of exasperation, he jumped on a nearby computer to find the number for Ahmed's store. Maybe that guy could get her a message.

“Ahmed's quick shop, how can I help you?”

“Ahmed, I don't know if you remember me. I'm a cop. We met recently—I'm a friend of Trudy Hunt's...”

Before he could say another word, Ahmed went ballistic. “That crazy women! She has been nothing but trouble for me! I don't know what you want, but it has nothing to do with me. NOTHING! NOTHING! NOTHING!” He hung up.

Buzz pulled the cell phone from his ear and looked at it, a blank expression on his face. “I'm not sure what just happened here.”

“Can I help?” Priscilla asked. She shot him one of her sweetest little smiles.

“Well, I know this is a big favor. But not far from here, there is a convent with cloistered nuns. My friend, Trudy, is staying there...sort of a retreat situation. They don't have phones or modern conveniences. If you could go and pick up Trudy and take her to the hospital to see her son--he's the one who is sick, both she and I would be grateful. That way I can get to my boy right away.”

“You want me to go and pick up Trudy for you?”

“Yeah. Here, I'll write down the address for you.”

While Buzz scribbled it down, Priscilla's eyes lit with a mischievous gleam. This should be interesting, she thought.

Buzz left right away, taking a squad car and leaving the Crown Vic for Priscilla. As soon as he was out of sight, she made her way to his office instead and sat at his desk, snuggling into the big chair.

“No point in going to the convent. I'm confident Trudy is on her way right here. She should be arriving presently,” she muttered, all smiles.

Buzz got to the hospital with feelings of deja-vu racing through his head. Hadn't they just done all this before? Shit, he didn't know. Adam had been so much trouble lately. Even living with somebody else, he was still unpredictable and troublesome, it seemed. Maybe he and Trudy could hitch up and give raising Adam a try...she was better now, a lot better. The way she'd been acting lately, so mature and controlled. It was a sight to behold. He felt his cell vibrating in his pocket. The thing had been ringing all day. If he ever got through this current circus, he'd have to check his voice mail.

1 comment:

  1. cat fight anyone???

    poor elly,, whats gonna happen when they get the ring out of his tummy???? only time will tell!!!

    ReplyDelete