Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chapter 136


word count 1158

Buzz sat at Mrs. Dunn's side at the hospital, his huge frame tucked in an undersized bedside chair that squeaked with every movement. Lazily glancing at his watch, he tried to chase worst case scenarios from his mind. She would wake up soon. She had to.

The longer he sat viewing her still body, the stronger his resolve to get back on the street and be a real cop again. Innocents should not be harmed like this. He wanted to call her family, but she had listed none on her application. No “notify” people at all were on the form. He assumed her family must all be in the UK, and he had no idea how to reach them. She had mentioned one friend, a fellow named Algernon, “Algie” for short. Buzz called and left a message. So far, no response.

He got up and stretched. The tiny chair was torture. A trip outside to check his phone messages seemed in order.

When he'd stepped out, the sweet fresh air was such a relief from the stale “hospital” stench he'd just spent two hours breathing. He paused to take it all in—sunshine, trees, birds chirping—such a contrast. Next he pulled out his cell phone and switched it on. A cacophony of beeps sounded indicating missed calls and messages. All from the precinct. He checked in immediately.

“Detective Miller, we got an odd 911 from someone who claims to be”...the dispatcher paused to check his notes...”Trudy Hunt, claiming to be kidnapped and requesting you, in particular, to answer the call.”

Buzz blinked in surprise. Well, haven't heard from her in a while, but did I really think Trudy would simply disappear. 

“Look, I'm with a sick friend at the hospital. Find someone else.” He hung up even as the dispatcher's voice still sounded over the line. He didn't care. It was time to get back to Mrs. Dunn.

Buzz had hardly sat down when a fellow popped in, pushing past the privacy curtain.

“Hi there, Algernon English here. I came as soon as I got your message.”

Buzz gawked at the fellow. He looked to be Mrs. Dunn's age with gray hair, shaggy and a bit long, and an equally gray mustache. He was dressed in a tweed suit with a vest in proper English fashion.

“How do you do? I'm Buzz Miller.” Buzz extended his hand in greeting. The fellow offered a good, strong hand shake in return.

“As soon as I heard I was so worried about Winifred, Thank you for sitting with her.”

“Have you known her long?”

“Yes, yes! Lifelong friends, we are. Yes, lifelong friends.”

Buzz smiled, seeming satisfied. He paused to consider the single chair, how there were now two of them, and how much he hated that chair. An idea occurred.

“Mr. English, are you planning to sit with her for a while?”

“Yes, of course. There's nowhere I'd rather be. Call me Algie, please.”

“In that case, I really need to run some errands...if you don't mind, Algie.”

“Of course! Go! Go! It would my pleasure to sit with her.”

Buzz nodded farewell and lost no time heading for the exit. He'd had second thoughts about Trudy. The woman had a childlike innocence about her, easily led astray, victimized. She always needed people so much, she couldn't see their dark sides in the pursuit of friendship or “whatever.“ He feared that was the kind of scenario that had played out for her today.

Algernon settled in next to Mrs. Dunn, extracting a paper back from his pocket. At that moment, Mrs. Dunn opened her eyes. She managed a tiny smile.

“Algernon, you've come.”

“Algernon English, Her Majesty's Secret Service at your disposal, madame!”

“Yes, Algie, I know.” She smiled again, stronger this time.

He reached over and took her hand in his. “The agency always takes care of its own, you know. When you feel up to it, you can debrief me on your latest endeavors.”

***

"Cops? What cops? Why are you asking me about cops?" Trudy asked Ahem, plastering on her most innocent face.

"The ones you told me to call!"

"I...didn't tell you to call the cops." She struggled to keep the screams of exasperation she felt buried--deep inside.

"If I didn't call them, then why is that squad call pulling up?"

"I have no idea..." Trudy had hardly said the words when the car stopped and the doors flung wide open. Buzz and a slew of uniforms emerged, guns drawn.

"HANDS UP!"

The sisters were a sight to see, their faces like Halloween pumpkins, lit up and glowing with rounded mouths and triangulated eyes.

Ahmed stuttered, "I'm a U.S. citizen, not a terrorist!"

Buzz looked from one to the other, until his eyes rested on Trudy. "What's going on here? Everyone keep your hands in the air. Trudy, what the hell is that you're wearing, a potato sack? Oh, sorry, sisters, I meant 'what the heck'..."

Trudy's heart blasted out a rhythm in her chest like a giant drum pounding. She'd never seen Buzz in action before, gun drawn, in the "kill" mode. She could barely contain herself.

"It's a little something the sisters gave me to wear while I stayed with them."

"So who kidnapped you? Was it him?" Buzz swung on his heel to point his service revolver directly at Ahmed's face.

"I'm legal. I'm good! U.S. citizen!" Poor Ahmed looked ready to wet himself.

"No, Buzz!" Trudy stammered.

He swerved again, aiming for the sisters. The ladies in unison pawed for their rosaries while Sister Esther started murmuring the Apostle's Creed to start if off.

"No, Buzz! No one kidnapped me. I lied."

"What?"

"I missed you. I just wanted to see you." She stepped forward and touching his wrists, she lowered the gun down. "I've changed, Buzz. These good sisters have been helping me find myself."

"Huh! You're not gonna talk a lot of psychobabble, are you?"

"No, Buzz! I just want ya to know I'm a different person now." She looked away, pensive. "I've been through a lot." Memories of Simone, her drunken sprees, falling in with the stranger, being threatened, running, getting shot...all those memories washed through her mind in one glorious sweep. "I'm more serious, more mindful, now. But I was also very lonely today, a little confused...I couldn't control the urge to see ya." She took a step back. "Now I have to decide whether to go back with the sisters and learn to connect with myself more, or to go with you and resume my life...in a whole new way."

Buzz appeared dumbfounded. They were both in a state of change. He wondered if they drifted in the same direction. If they were, it could be glorious to make the journey together.

Trudy shifted on the other foot and took a deep breath. "Well, I've made my decision," she said. "I'm..."

1 comment:

  1. excellent write jo!!!! damn!!! mrs. dunn a british secret service agent?? and trudy still somewhat in the lurch??? oh my. oh my my.....

    ReplyDelete