Thursday, September 6, 2012

Chapter 112

word count 1289

That morning, Mrs. Dunn bolted up in bed with feelings of dread. Detective Miller! Something was wrong! The impulse shot into her dream flashing his face, waking her up. She rose and started pacing around the bedroom. Back and forth. She was worried beyond belief.

Just to be certain, she checked his room. It was empty. He hadn't slipped in late. She tried his cell again, no answer. Sure, you never knew when a fellow might not spend the night at a lady's, even stay with that awful Trudy. But this time, it felt different. He was somewhere he didn't want to be. She knew it. Her instincts told her something evil was afoot.

She prepared a pot of tea, using her favorite flowered china pot and settled at the tiny kitchen table. What problem couldn't be solved with a steaming, hot cuppa? In truth, she'd become increasing fond of the man. Even though a simple "thank you" was hard to come by, and he was gruff and unpleasant far too often. But she was convinced a heart of gold beat in that huge chest.

Finally, she came to a decision. She would go out and find him. Washing up her cup and saucer, she rushed to her room. Breathless while yanking our her curlers and throwing on her house dress, she felt certain she'd never dressed that fast in her life. But the feelings of dread were intense, bolting at her like thunder from the sky. One last look in the hallway mirror, and she headed out, first pausing to scribble out a note for Buzz in case he came home while she was gone. She asked him to call her cell. Once she'd settled in her car, however, she wasn't sure where to go, where to start.

"Well, he got a call yesterday and then ran off on police work." She said the words out loud as though hearing her own voice could give clarity to the situation. "Well, the police station must be a pretty good place to start."

***

Mick cuddled in the booth with Linda Jane, wrapping one arm over her shoulder, whispering sweet words of love in her ear. The girl blushed.

But all the while he was filled with disgust. He hardly found her attractive. It was just he needed to keep up the ruse long enough to convince his co-workers he actually was Mick. And Mick, nerdy as he was, could still manage to put on the airs for a pretty lady. They usually responded by wanting to cuddle him like a helpless boy.

He checked his watch. Surely he had fooled around here long enough. He longed to just go home.

"Geez, look at the time! I gotta work tomorrow." He stood up at the table in an abrupt motion.

He'd cut off Linda's last remark mid-stream, and she looked at him in surprise. "What? Oh yeah. I guess it is."

"Let me call you a cab." He whipped out cell and started calling before she had time to answer.

"Mick, wait! My car is here. I drove."

"Oh."

"In fact." She got up, a sleek and sultry motion, and leaned against him, her breast rubbing his arm. "You could come to my place. I live right around the corner. You'd get to sleep a lot sooner...even with slipping in a little fun with me before you nod off, with a smile on your face, I might add."

Her perfume filled his nostrils making him want to sneeze. Some sort of flowery stuff. "Linda, look, I appreciate the offer, but I only sleep well in my own bed, and I have a big day tomorrow."

"What?"

His patience was running thin. "Look, I'm trying to tell you 'no' in a polite way. I really can't go with you!" He stopped at that, remembering Linda would probably talk to the other girls, and he had to keep a reasonable impression of Mick going.

"Oh, okay. I'm sorry," she broke in. "I guess I've never been turned down for sex before, and it got to me."

"Oh honey, it's not that I'm turning you down. I just need the rest. Another time we'll do it. Okay?"

"What? Are you blowing me off, like, 'let's have lunch?'"

"No, no! Not that! Another time, just not tonight." My Gawd! He hated playing this role as Mick. He really never wanted to see her again.

"Oh, okay." Rummaging in her purse, she pulled out something. "Here's my card. My cell number is on there. I expect you to use it."

"You bet I will! Good night now!"

She pecked him on the cheek. "Good night!"

When he got out of the cab at his place, he gave the cabbie an extra big tip. The guy did an outstanding job of getting him through traffic and to his front door in 10 minutes flat.

"Thank Gawd this night is over," he murmured while going up the walk. He felt confident masquerading as Mick in every way but one. He could imitate him with the guys, no problem, the masculine movements and brash, awkward ways. A lifetime of observation had taught him all the nuances of his twin brother's behavior. But when it came to the ladies, how does a gay man stomach locking lips with a woman. So perverse. Now Buzz or Gil, there's a couple of guys he'd like to pucker up to. But his brother was straight, so he'd have to try. The money would be worth it.

* * *

"But I thought he came to work?" Mrs. Dunn stood, perplexed, at the front desk in the station house. The cop in charge appeared disinterested in her plight, handing out short answers and disgusted glares. "Well, if he's in the field, then where is that? I want to go and see him."

"Madam, are you crazy? We don't give out that kind of information."

"Well, I have reason to believe he may be in very grave danger." She leaned closer and shot him daggers with her eyes.

He didn't budge. "What? How is that? Did the tooth fairy tell you?" The balding cop flushed, a crimson river filling not only cheeks but his sleek dome, as well.

"No, I had a dream."

"That does it! Leave now, lady! Or I'll have you arrested."

Out on the street, Mrs. Dunn settled on a bench to have a good think. When the call came in, she'd heard little Adam's name mentioned, so she hung around the corner listening, worried about the boy. Adam, his brothers, a junk yard, a body, oh! The body was Mick Johnson, that detective from work. Buzz was going to talk to his family! Maybe they knew where he was! She had to try.

When she arrived at the house on the corner, 718 Rosemoor St., the street looked quiet and serene, making her feel foolish about her frantic impulses. But persevering, she went up the walk and rang the bell. Westminster chimes on the other side made her smile.

The door opened a crack. "Hello, may I help you?"

"How do you do? I'm Mrs. Dunn. I'm looking for the Johnson family? Would you be Mrs. Johnson?"

"Why?"

"I was hoping to locate my employer, Detective Buzz Miller. It was my understanding he came here yesterday."

The door opened wide, and Mrs. Johnson stepped forward, her tiny steel glasses riding low on her nose, ignited sapphire eyes giving Mrs. Dunn a good lookover. "Is that so?" she asked.


2 comments:

  1. oh no!!! don't tell me we are headed toward some old lady on old lady action!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Mind out of the gutter, please! LOL. Just a little conversation...although heated...LOL

    ReplyDelete