Monday, August 27, 2012

Chapter 102

word count 1161

Simone released Trudy from their kiss and pulled away. Poor Trudy gazed back, her face a mixture of both confusion and pleasure.

"I'm sorry, Trudy. I shouldn't have done that."

Trudy swiped her lips with the back of her hand, her eyes fixed on the other woman.

Simone wondered what Trudy was thinking. The kiss had been unexpected. Simone had been so worked up from the struggle and emotionally distraught from her tumultuous day. Trudy's flushed face and sparkling eyes had been too much to resist, an ethereal place to run to and escape. But, of course, the other lady didn't swing her way and so, it was wrong. She knew she needed to patch things up.

"Look, Trudy, I lost it. I didn't mean to alarm you or intimidate you. It's been a hell of a day, and I lost my way. Kissing you was some kind of giant relief for me in a day gone terribly wrong."

Trudy looked back with eyes as bewildered as a six year old. Finally, she stammered. "I'm sorry I accused ya of going after Gil." She felt her dewy lips with her fingers. "Obviously, ya have no interest in him."

"No, I don't. I only wanted to take revenge for what he did to my girl friend. I knew it was wrong to want to hurt him, but all I could see was anger."

Trudy nodded like she understood. There had plenty of times she wanted to kill the men in her life. Like her dumb husband, John. She wanted to kill him most days, in fact. But right now, something bigger was bothering her...that kiss. She'd enjoyed it.

"Simone, I didn't mind the kiss. In fact, I liked it."

Simone shot her a sidelong glance and cleared her throat. "Look, Trudy, I'm guessing by the way you look and the fact that you're here in lock up with me, that you have had a hell of a day, too. And your pupils are telling me you may have had more than just alcohol tonight. I'm guessing this evening has been a real trip for you...out of your comfort zone."

Trudy nodded. It certainly was a night for the books--being mistaken for a man, for one thing.

"That's why," Simone continued, "I don't want you to be insulted or anything, but what happened between us wasn't real. I was exhausted; you were tripping. We bumped into each other here, and a strange thing happened. Just one of many weird things that happened to each of us tonight."

"Ya mean ya don't even like me?" Trudy felt ready to cry. No one liked her, not even other women.

"No, Trudy, I like you as a friend, but you're no lesbian. Look, I was born to it. I knew from when I was a kid that girls turn me on. You've always chased guys. You know you love them. If you were to have an affair with a girl, it would probably just be a lark for you. Sooner or later, you'd go back. And you'd leave some poor lady in the ditch. I don't want that girl to be me."

"Oh."

"That being said, may I make a comment about your relationships?"

"I guess." Trudy was starting to feel the old stress coming back, worrying about where she belonged in life. The drug was apparently wearing off. No more sparkles, no more epiphanies. Just the same old Trudy.

"If you don't mind my saying so, you let men walk all over you."

"What?"

"Yeah, get some gumption, girl! Do you think I could be a cop in a department full of men if I always let them make me feel inferior. Ya gotta stand up to them! You're just as good as any guy. And you should choose your men carefully for your own good, not just fall in with anyone who comes by wearing pants. Go with men who respect you, for Gawd's sake!"

"I'm thinking I'm beginning to take offense at what yer sayin' to me."

"No, listen. Here's an example. You know Buzz's wife, that Jeannie lady? It was no secret he used to beat her up a lot. She always let him make her feel like shit. There was nothing left of her. And pretty soon, there was no place left she felt she could go and she had to hang onto him, needing him for her very survival. I'm telling ya, hon, if you don't get your shit together, some bastard like Buzz Miller is gonna be dragging you around like his personal punching bag."

The truth slammed Trudy in the face like a massive fist to the jaw. That was exactly what was happening with Buzz. She kept running back to him every time she needed help. And worst of all, he had already knocked around. And instead of being outraged, she liked it, leaning closer and wanting more of it as if the act bonded them. Well, it may have, but not in a good way. She could see that now.

***

They arrived as a colorful posse--Hank, Gil, Buzz, Simon, and Michael--the latter two giggling and fawning over the other men. They walked through the front door as a group, a solid unit of entertainment, performance art of and in itself for the viewing. Two men obviously in love, and three resistant victims.

Simon and Michael couldn't wait to show off what they had brought home to the fold.

"Hey, everyone! Listen up!" Michael clapped his hands in a dainty fashion while still hoping to garner the room's attention. "These gentlemen are here to finish up the investigation on what happened here earlier tonight. Please afford them every courtesy, if you know what I mean!" He said the last phrase with a wink to the crowd.

The room erupted in laughter. The three straight men looked at each other in distress. Finally, Buzz took charge.

"Any of you who saw the assault in the back, please step over there!" He pointed to a far corner. The room full of gays stampeded in that direction.

Buzz looked confused. "You mean every one of you saw the assault?"

"Oh, yeah, hon! Come on over and I'll tell you all about it! I must say, you are a fine figure of a man!" The garishly dressed fellow shot Buzz a wide, devilish smile.

"Me, me! Come talk to me!"

"Over here, over here, big boy! Have I got some things to tell you!"

The clamor of voices filled the room like a flock of squawking ducks. It seemed everyone had a story to tell Buzz.

He looked to Hank and Gil. "This follow-up investigation is going to take all night."

1 comment:

  1. after the blow to his male ego earlier on this evening,, will the gil machine be sucked in by this out pouring of love?? lol!!!!

    ReplyDelete