Monday, December 24, 2012

Chapter 200

word count 1021


Hospital affairs concluded, Buzz and Gil hitched a ride along with Hank in the Crown Vic back to the precinct. An uneasy quiet prevailed in the car. Hank and Gil were reconciled, so that tension was abated. But Buzz, sitting alone in the back seat, his sizable frame easily filling the space, loomed larger than life in the minds of the other two cops. A question loomed. What did he think of them taking him down?

He'd joined them at the hospital requesting a ride with little else to say. And now the boss sat in the back seat, casting his nervous aura over the other two. Finally, he spoke breaking the tense quiet like a bolt of lightning shooting through the car.

“Before the department even asks, I'm reassigning myself to strictly desk work.”

“But Buzz, you just tried that when you were hurt before. It didn't suit you.” Hank shot him a worried glance.

“Yeah, but once they've read the incident report, I'll be lucky if they let me even keep my badge. Maybe if I pledge to stay off the streets, it will appease them. I'm a good cop dammit, that's got to count for something.”

Gil felt uncomfortable with the obvious omission in the conversation of his and Hank's turning against Buzz, guns drawn and punches thrown. “Boss, we only turned on you to stop you from doing something that would wreck your career.” He blurted it out, the urgency apparent in his tone.

Buzz looked at him with a sad expression. His usually vibrant eyes were dull, his expression depressed. “I know that, Gil. And I thank you. I thank you more than you could ever know.”

Hank and Gil exchanged glances. A relaxed air filled the car at last. He wasn't angry.

Buzz smiled at the other two. “I want you to write the report exactly as it happened. I'll take my licks on this. I drew a gun on an unarmed perp and you had to restrain me. I was out of control. I've been a solid cop all my life, and I'll pay the consequences up front for what I did, no fucking around. I can only hope they'll let me just do desk work, and still keep my job.”

* * *

And the chaos began. With Algie and Enos in the pink Edsel pursuing Jacob in the cab, the Edsel's horn blared while pedestrians jumped out of the way. Even the most dangerous among them, pimps, druggies, and prostitutes, fled for their lives as the cars came blaring through.

Jacob in the cab, sitting in stunned silence biting the back of his hand, was terrified. With every turn, he bit in deeper. But his cab driver was even more afraid. Was this how they drive in this new country I've come to, America, he pondered. He gripped the wheel, white knuckles showing, which for his Middle Eastern complexion was not readily accomplished. He spewed an endless array of curses in his foreign language while driving like a man possessed.

Enos, in the car with Algernon, searched his pockets for a prayer book. But his hands were shaking too much to accomplish the task. He had never been so terrified in his life. The Englishman must be insane. A glance at the speedometer revealed they were moving at an astounding 98 mph. He braced his hands against the dash and waited for the end to come. If only Jacob had not stolen the jewel to begin with. They would not be killed today when the cars ultimately crashed leaving shredded metal and their dead bodies behind.

“Remain calm,” Algie said. “I have a plan.” He nodded toward his phone. “Press one for speed dial and turn it on speaker.”

Enos obeyed and soon Hank's voice answered at the precinct.

“Mr. Bowers, Algernon here. I say! I need a road block pronto. The jewel thief is heading toward the interstate in a cab. He should be at the State St. ramp in about ten minutes. Can you set up a block for me? I know for a fact he has the Diana Diamond. Good. Thanks.”

The plan came together like music, a sweet symphony perfectly executed. Hank and Gil waited at the road block and detained the cab, guns drawn and somber faces, scaring the cabbie. He jumped out of the vehicle first, hands in the air. Next Jacob emerged.

Enos came running to be at his friend's side. Algie followed in bounding leaps. The Englishman arrived breathless.

“In the name of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, I demand you hand over the Princess Diana Diamond this minute,” he said.

“The what?” Jacob stammered.

“The Diana Diamond, you twit!”

“You mean this?” Jacob produced the jewel from his pocket. He held it up in full view for all to see. A hush fell over the crowd as the magnificent gem glistened in the sunlight.

“Yes, I must return it to the Queen.”

“Sir, I had no idea...” Jacob stammered.

“Just give it to me!” Algie hissed. Never had he worked so hard to accomplish a task. He grabbed it up and withdrew from the group, anxious to call Winnie and tell her the good news.

She answered, murmuring “Hallo” in the phone in a peaceful tone.

He blared out his news loud and clear. “Winnie, I've got it! I've got the diamond!”

“Huh? Oh, Algie, is that you?”

The alarm in her voice couldn't be denied. But Algie, excited from his recent victory, pushed the thought from his mind. “Winnie, I've got the diamond at long last. We can go home to England and present it to the Queen.”

“Diamond? Go home? Uh...”

“Winnie, what on earth is wrong with you? Are you sick?” Concern for his friend grabbed the Englishman's attention.

“Algie, I'm fine. You...uh...caught me at a bad time. That's all.”

It was then Algie heard a masculine cough in the background. His senses went on high alert, the hair on the back of his neck stiffening into hackles.

“I say! Winnie, do you have a man there? What on earth is going on?”

“Well...” Winnie replied.

1 comment:

  1. as the ever so pristine winifred dunn is getting nailed in the background!!!! what a way to celebrate the diamonds recovery!!!!

    merry christmas jo!! and a pat on the back to each of us on the completion of our first 200 chapters!!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete