Thursday, November 15, 2012

Chapter 174

word count 1167

Algernon settled at the table, making a conscious effort to stir his tea until the sugar dissolved. “Well, Ms. Trudy,” he said. “I've noticed your frequent outbursts, and I find them disconcerting to say the least.”

She looked back, red-faced. “Algie, I've tried everything,” she said. “I even spent time livin' with nuns to learn to be more patient and humble. Nothin' works!”

“Even the holy sisters couldn't calm you down?”

“No. In fact, I think they was relieved to see me go. I think they were ready to give up their vocations by the time I was done with 'em.” She blushed.

“Ah, I see. So you are a woman of definite passions. To be truthful, Trudy. I can't find fault with that. When you feel something, you feel it good and strong and it bursts out of you of its own accord.” He stirred his tea for a moment and then leaned forward. “You are a human dynamo.”

“Well, a lot of people don't care much for it. The outbursts, I mean.”

“You just need a way to channel your energy.”

“Oh, look! I've already been through relaxation crapola with Dr. Beauregard. It doesn't work for me. I just blast out what I'm thinkin' and that's that. There's no channelin' it.”

“Would you let me teach you some things from the martial arts? I can teach you to respect and harness your inner energies and project them in a controlled fashion.”

“Well, first of all, like what? Martial arts? What the hell do you know about martial arts? You're like, somebody's butler, aren't you?”

“Well...ahem, sure. But I uh...took a course. I can teach you. I earned the highest belt.”

She studied him in earnest. He was sort of cute in a cuddly sort of way, but maybe he really did know how to do that kung fu crap. She was desperate, and if she didn't get her shit together soon, she'd lose Buzz. As it was, he was only tolerating her by a thread.

“Okay,” she said.

“Splendid. I have a little walk-up not far from Buzz's place. Keep two hours free every morning to meet me there, and we'll start your training. In the meantime, let me give you a mini-lesson.” I hope I'm doing the right thing, he pondered...putting the power of the arts into the hands of a hot head. This could be the making or breaking of her. With a sigh, he got up and motioned for her to join him in the middle of the room.

Trudy nodded, but her eyes revealed she was doubtful. She joined him.

“I would like you to think of your energies as sacred, like a white light at your core. Close your eyes and think about it. Take some deep breaths.” He watched quietly. “Do you see the light?” he asked.

“Yeah,” she said. “Pretty.”

“Well, it's more than just pretty. It's you, my dear, you at your very best. You need to love it and respect. When you lash out in an angry outburst, you puncture and wound it. If you must be angry, join with the light and let it temper you. It's your life force.”

Trudy stood silently with her eyes closed. Algernon walked closer and spoke quietly in her ear, taking steps all around her as he spoke. “It's like a weapon, but you only want to use it in the most dire circumstances. Most of the time, you should choose to dance with the light, to let it guide you, and never, ever disrespect it or insult it by wasting its strength on petty out bursts. If you disrespect the light, you disrespect yourself. If and when you must react, you and the light can be one.” He put a hand on her shoulder to nudge her eyes open. “Allow me to demonstrate.”

He took a can of soup off the counter and laid it on its side on the table. Pausing to close his eyes, he stood with his hands clasped in front of his mouth, concentrating. Then without warning, the side of his hand slammed down on the can, denting it as he cried out “Eeeyah!”

Trudy stood by in shock. The can had been transformed into a mangled mess, with green pea soup oozing from a crack in the metal where his hand hit. She looked from the can to him and back again.

“Now you try it,” he said, grabbing another can of soup and laying it in front of her on the table. She looked at him deer-in-the-headlights style.

“Go on!” he said.

She closed her eyes, bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet at first. She settled and stood. Then, even to Algie's surprise, her hand suddenly flew through the air and smashed down on the can, hitting every bit as hard as Algie had. He stared wide-eyed at the mangled mess that remained.

“Not bad, Ms. Trudy. Not bad at all.”



* * *
Stephanie poured Hank a cup of coffee and sat back in her chair to study him. Normally, in the morning he liked to chat. She was thankful he wasn't one of those guys who buried his face in the paper while shoving in spoonfuls of cereal. Hank was a social creature, around her anyway, and he seemed grateful they'd found each other and savored every moment they had together. But today, he sat quietly, stirring his coffee as though she wasn't in the room.

“Honey, are you okay?”

“Hmmph, yeah.” He shot a smile but went back to being listless again.

On top of this, last night was the first time in ages they didn't even kiss, let alone anything else. He'd just crawled into bed and barely mumbled good-night.

“I have to leave for work soon. Can I get you something to eat?” she said.

“No...not hungry.”

“Hank, what is going on with you? You're acting like you lost your best friend.”

“I did,” he replied. He launched into an elaborate explanation of all that had happened with Gil.

She listened, her eyes widening when she heard how off the mark Gil's behavior was. “Are you sure he is all right, physically I mean. I mean, he was kidnapped and drugged. Maybe it did something to him.”

“Well, just try to get that crazy Latino to see a doctor.”

“Well, maybe you can't, but a pretty girl can.” Stephanie's eyes lit up as her thoughts ran wild. “I have a friend. She's a doctor, and a beautiful woman. I could point her in his direction, and let her do some magic.”

“Well, she'd have to meet him on her own. I can't introduce them. He's not speaking to me. In fact, he put in for a new partner yesterday.”

“What? Oh Hank!” Stephanie knew how crushing that must be to her man. She grabbed his hand and patted it. “Don't worry. We're going to bring him around. You'll see.”

1 comment:

  1. great twists love steph being back... can't wait to see trudy in action!!!!!

    ReplyDelete