Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chapter 36

word count 1545 

Trudy made it to work, big headache and all. But it didn't mean she had to be happy about it. When the quiet time finally arrived, that late afternoon hour before the dinner crowd, she collapsed on a stool at the counter. Her quitting time was in an hour, so it would be an easy wait. The only patron was the lady cop, the one Trudy first talked to a few weeks before. The woman had made coffee at the diner a daily ritual, and the two chatted each day eventually becoming friends. In fact, Trudy made it a point to have the cop inform her of Buzz's progress from news picked up around the police station.

Buzz Miller occupied Trudy's mind these days more than ever. She missed him. Sure, she was angry as hell at him at first, but that had cooled and now all she could think about were their afternoon trysts. She missed his arms around her, his bulk, his warmth, his manly smell. She liked men who were strong-bodied and strong-willed. And Buzz certainly filled the bill, unlike her wimpy, green tea drinking, gutless husband, John. She'd married that guy to get a good father for the kid, but it was all he was good for.

She knew Buzz had two weeks remaining at home in bed to recuperate; and after that, he would need crutches. Two weeks was too long to wait. Toying with the idea of going to visit him, she found the prospect overwhelmed her, filling her every thought. She weighed the pros and cons—his wife didn't know her by sight, so it was safe in that respect. She could claim to be just a friend. She could see how he was and more importantly, try to set things straight between them. She could try and determine whether his wife was attempting that ridiculous cancer crap to gain his sympathy. As for the cons, there were none. Having previously pushed him away, she had everything to gain in getting him back.  Now if she could make a visit to the house look legit and solid...

“You look really lost in thought today.” Brenda said it in a loud voice to be certain Trudy heard her.

“Oh, yeah! I was just thinking about somethin'.” Trudy studied her scarlet nails, one by one, then twirled one of her many bracelets, making it go round and round on her wrist.

“About what? I'm guessing you're thinking about a man. Women don't ponder recipes or lampshades that earnestly.” Brenda took a sip of coffee, then chuckled.

“Yeah...it's my Buzz. I'd like to see him, ya know? Just to see how he's doing. But I treated the big guy like dirt before, ya know?”

“I see,” Brenda replied. Trudy had  already confessed the affair to her, so the woman cop knew exactly where Trudy's feelings were coming from. “So I take it, you've found forgiveness for him.”

Trudy nodded. “Do ya think it would be strange if I stopped by his house to see him?”

“Maybe. But do you know what? I could go with you! I just happen to have these newsletters from the office I could deliver to him—a little something for him to read. I could score brownie points with the boss. And with me along, you wouldn't make such an entrance.” She pulled a bundle of papers from her bag and held them up.

“It works for me! Let's go,” Trudy said.

Later, when they arrived, the women bumped into Hank Bower as he came out the front door of the Miller residence. He looked uncomfortable bumping into them, but extended a greeting all the same.

“Well, hello there, Brenda! Coming to see the boss, are you?”

“Yep. This is my friend, Trudy.”

Trudy smiled sheepishly. Buzz had brought Hank to the diner once, and she recognized him.

“Yes, I think Trudy and I have met,” he replied, studying the waitress. “Hi Trudy. Well, I'm running late, so...have a nice visit. That is if he doesn't bite your heads off.” He scurried down the walk and didn't look back.

“Boy, that guy sure was in a hurry,” Trudy commented. “It's almost like he had somethin' ta hide!”

“Don't we all?” Brenda asked with a sinister chuckle. “Well, let's get in there and take our beating.”

Brenda knocked and a boy answered. “Hullo,” he said.

“Hi, we're from your Daddy's work. Is your mother home?” Brenda spoke in a gentle manner so as not to alarm him.

“Mom doesn't feel good. She's lying down.”

“Well, we wanted to visit your father and deliver some newsletters. Would that be okay?” Brenda pulled the papers out of her bag to show proof of her intentions.

“I don't care,” the boy said and opened the door wider so the women could come in. “He's in the room down the hall. Don't make a lot of noise or you'll wake my mom. And close the door, cause my dad yells a lot.”

Speechless, he waited for them to come in and closed the door after they entered. He walked away, leaving the two standing alone in the vestibule.

“My Gawd! That kid is strange!” Trudy blurted it out, unable to contain herself.

“Yeah, I wonder why he acts like that. Well, let's go meet the beast.”

Buzz was awake when Brenda popped her head in the doorway. “Hi boss! I brought you some reading material. May I come in?”

“Reading material? What the hell do I want with that? I'm in pain, and I'm miserable!”

“Yeah, right! Well, I brought a friend, too.” She grabbed hold of Trudy and threw her into the room.

“TRUDY!!!” he bellowed. “What the hell? I'm surprised as shit, but I gotta say, I'm glad to see you, babe!” For the first time in many days, Buzz Miller smiled.

Trudy stood in front of him like a bashful school girl. She had worried he might reject her. This welcome greeting was the last thing she expected after the way she treated him. “Hi Buzz, hon!” she cooed.

The two stared at one other, and taking the cue, Brenda perked up and spoke. “Well, why don't I go and find us some nice cool drinks?”

“Yeah, whatever!” he replied, his eyes riveted on Trudy. “Close the door on your way out, will ya?”

“Sure! I'll be back.” Brenda crept out, unnoticed by the other two.

“Come here, you!” Buzz purred.

Trudy obeyed. She felt aflutter with the attention. She leaned in and planted a wet kiss on his mouth. He forced his tongue in hers and probed, long and deep like a snake seeking out its prey. His big hands reached under her blouse and unsnapped her bra. She felt her breasts cupped and stroked in his warmth. She felt like swooning. But then, he moaned. She could see he was struggling to reach out and maneuver with the brace on neck and his legs completely immobilized.

“I could do this forever, but it's hard strapped up like this,” he said.

She could sense the impatience building in his voice.

“And I gotta be careful with my boy in the house,” he murmured. “Oh, and my wife. I think the kid said she's lying down upstairs.”

Trudy went rigid at the mention of his wife. “How is your wife?” she asked. “Ya never mention her, understandably, of course. But still, is she okay?”

“Why wouldn't she be okay?”

“No reason.” Trudy shot him a tiny smile as Brenda stumbled into the room, balancing three glasses on a tray.

“I hope you like fruit punch! It's all I could find in the fridge.”

“Oh, I love it!” Trudy warbled, reaching for a glass.

Brenda passed one to her and gave one to Buzz. She grabbed the last glass for herself.

“To good friends and bosses!” she toasted, laughing and raising the drink in salute.

“To lovers forever!” Trudy joined in, sneaking Buzz a wink.

It wasn't long before Buzz got tired, leaning back and fighting to keep his eyes open. He seemed ready to fall asleep. So the ladies said their good-byes.

“I'll come back again, babe!” Trudy murmured planting a kiss on his cheek.

The cop grinned and smacked her on the butt. Brenda motioned to the door, and Trudy followed, blowing one last kiss.

The empty, dark house, as they passed through the living room, was a mausoleum. It was as if no one lived there. No voices, no children's laughter, no television or radio blaring, drapes closed to the sun, and the kitchen empty of aromas.

“What a sad, dreary place!” Trudy murmured.

“It's like someone died here,” Brenda added.

Later that night, someone almost did die. Buzz got very sick with vomiting and convulsions. The doctor rushed to the house and managed to get it under control.

“Buzz, if I didn't know better, I'd think someone tried to poison you,” Doc Mobley murmured in his ear, punctuating the remark with a nervous chuckle. “You're okay now, but it was definitely something you ate.”

Buzz looked back in alarm. He didn't think it was a joke. Both his wife and his kid brought him his meals. Could one of them be trying to hurt him?

1 comment:

  1. uh oh,, sounds like buzz could be in some real trouble this time!!!! love the twist!!!

    ReplyDelete